Home > Travelogues > Leh Ladakh Bike Trip Of A Couple On A 100cc Motorcycle

Leh Ladakh Bike Trip Of A Couple On A 100cc Motorcycle

The Lone riders

Leh Ladakh Bike Trip is a dream of every biker across India and some foreigners too. But people always drop the plans with an excuse of not having a higher capacity bike or no budget or any other reason.

Here’s our story of how/why we planned this Leh Ladakh Bike Trip on a 100cc motorcycle (Hero Splendor) and how we successfully completed it.

Who Are We?

Deepika Shakya is a teacher in a private school in Delhi. Pawan Shakya is a marketing analyst with Droom. We got married in April 2016 and we decided to celebrate our First Marriage Anniversary in Leh Ladakh (we know celebrations were delayed, but the roads to Leh Ladakh opens in May)

We became the first couple ever to complete the Leh Ladakh Bike Trip from Delhi on a 100cc Hero Splendor. It took us 14 days to complete the ride and costed us maximum Rs. 28000/- (this is the maximum estimation we did after the ride actual would be way less than this).
This ride was full of unfortunate incidents, adventures and near to death experiences.

Here is a detailed story of our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip:-


I “Pawan Shakya” am a frequent rider and have good amount of experience in riding bikes from a Luna to Hayabusa or Harley Fat boy (did all the rides on rented bikes or on friend’s bikes). I have been to many places on bike like Lansdowne, Shimla, Manali, Aligarh (just to have a morning tea), Jaipur, etc. before this ride I owned “Bajaj Platina and Hero Super Splendor”.

Since, love to ride to different destinations, I bought a riding jacket and boots for my safety during rides. But I don’t know why my purchases for my safety irked the riders I used to ride with, and they started making my fun by saying “ye ayaa rider paltina pe safety gears pehen k” or “100cc ki bike hai 1000cc nahi” or “Paltina leke ride pe jayega ye hahahaha”… Their words instigated me to prove them that they are wrong, to prove them that “Its Not What You Ride But Its What You Ride For”

And, I planned this ride but when I shared this plan with my wife, her response was “No, you will not go alone, I will go with you”. Honestly first I thought of dropping the plan since it would too risky to take her with me but she somehow convinced me that we can do it.

#Day Prior to our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip:

My platina was too old and was not in a condition to ride this long hence, I shared my plan with Mr. Amit (Co-founder, Motorclub) and he agreed to sponsor the bike (hero splendor 100cc) for the ride. We went to collect the bike and riding gears for my wife a day before. They told us, they could not get the bike serviced as promised and hence Mr.Amit is out in the market to buy a bike (as they promised me a splendor for the ride).

After receiving the bike and riding gears at around 6 PM, we headed straight to the petrol pump and got the fuel tank full. By around 9:30 PM we reached home and since it was too late, we could do any modification or install accessories on the bike. We had to leave at 3 in the morning hence, we packed our things and went to get a short sleep.

Day 1 (10th June 2017) Delhi To Manali

2:30AM we were all set to start our dream ride a “LEH LADAKH BIKE TRIP” on a 100cc bike. We took ashirwaad of our parents and headed straight to Vikaspuri to meet our fellow rider “Krishna Tamang” (one of the riders who instigated me for this ride) and his pillion rider. At 3AM we did a basic check of our bikes started our journey.

After our first stretch of 136 kms, we stopped at Mehmad Pur (Punjab) to have breakfast. We took little long just to take a power nap as we could not sleep in the night. At around 7:30 we resumed our ride.

Our second stretch was of 235 kms from Mehmad Pur to Talsri. More than anything else our butts needed rest. Literally could not feel it for the few minutes. After we decided to stop after every 80-100 kms to give some rest to ourselves and our bikes too.

Before reaching Manali, I had a scuffle with krishna as he was riding too fast and the person who was to arrange the permits for us was calling me again and again. Since, I could not whatsapp the ID’s of our fellow riders to him, he was unable to arrange the permits for us.

When we reached our hotel in Manali at around 6 PM my wife told me that I was too rude with Krishna, I should have been little polite and also, that it wasn’t me the way I reacted to the situation, to which I disagreed at that time but while writing this travelogue I literally feel sorry about how I behaved with him.

Day 2 (11Th June 2017) Manali to Khoksar

We hurried up in the morning and reached SDM office as early as we could to get the permits to cross Rohtand Pass. I was happy to be on the 18th position in the queue however that happiness lasted for few minutes only as the moment guard opened the gates people rushed inside like there was some man-eating beast is after them.

Outside the SDM’s room people were pushing and shouting on each other, they didn’t even leave the space for the people inside the room to come out. 4-5 females made a different line (as it happens everywhere in India- a Different line for Ladies) I called my wife and the other fellow female rider to join them in the line.

I somehow managed to help them enter the room but the SDM inside got furious with the way people were fighting and shouting outside his room. He stopped working and called the police. We thought police control the situation and SDM will resume the work but to our surprise 2 female constables there to handle the situation.

People were ignoring them as if we ignore the barking dogs (Sorry for using these words but the situation was like that only). At around 11:30 AM, our ladies finally got the permits for all of us after all these hassles.

But it was not our day, some stupid cab driver parked his car at the entrance of the parking area leaving no space for us to get our bikes out of the parking lot. People including me were so furious that we would have almost thrashed him and damaged his car if the police would have interfered and saved him.

Check out time at the hotel was 12 PM and we were at the mall road and it was 2 PM. We thought we would have to pay the extra charges for a late checkout, but hotel staff understood the problems we faced and helped us check out without charging any extra money.

 At 3:30 PM we left our hotel and at around 5 PM reached the first pass of our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip, “Rohtang Pass”. It was so beautiful and scenic location with some chilling breeze. We wanted to spend some more time there but since we had a very long journey ahead and we were already too late, we proceeded further.

Roads after Rohtang Pass were in very bad condition. We had planned to reach Jispa but had to stop at Khoksar since it was started getting dark.

We booked two tents at Yato camps and spent our night. I could not sleep in the night as had little fever and pain in the throat.

Hence, I boiled some water in the bowl I made using foil paper with the help of lighter I had for emergency (I Don’t smoke), did some gargles and that helped a bit.

Day 3 (12th June 2017) Khoksar to Bharatpur Tent Colony)

In the morning we freshened up and were all set to head towards Leh but before that we clicked lots pictures of the scenic mountains and surroundings. At 10:30 AM we bid goodbye to the amazing and friendly staff at Yato Camp and continued our journey.

We stopped at Jispa to have lunch and took some rest. At around 6 PM we were at Zing Zing Bar and by 6:30 we reached a water crossing before Baralacha. Vehicles were stopped at both the sides since the army was building a temporary bridge as the water flow was too high.  

We had decided to make it to the Pang today. But the God was like “Beta pahoch k dikhao pang”.

We had 10-15 minutes discussion on whether to return and wait for the bridge to get complete or cross the water and continue with our journey. Since 3 of us agreed upon crossing the water flow Krishna had no option but to cross the waters.

I borrowed Gum-boots from a person on Scooty and helped Krishna crossing the water flow on his Thunder Bird 500 and then he helped me crossing the water flow on my splendor. We both then help our pillion riders cross the water and then we picked our luggage one by one from one end to another.

Scooty rider from whom I borrowed the boots came to us and requested to help him too to cross the water, left with no option we helped him too. Our clothes were all wet and hence changed our clothes in that chilling cold weather. We were feeling bad our female pillion riders as they could not change their jeans ☹.

It was 7:30 PM and Sun had started hiding, we had no option but to continue with our ride.

Since Krishna was not happy with our forced decision of crossing the water, he went very far from us as we were facing difficulties riding up to the Baralacha Pass. It was around 8 PM and we didn’t know where we are, it was completely dark, the temperature in minus, black ice on road and I was the only one riding the bike with my wife as a pillion trying my best to control the bike and reach to a safer place. I could feel my wife shivering badly but still, she kept on saying “Pawan Ji, I am fine aap tension mat lo”. I was getting thoughts what if something happens to her or bike, where will we go? What will we do? The experience was so horrifying.

I was praying for our safety; my eyes were looking for some shelter or someone who could help us, but unfortunately, there was nothing or no available. I kept on riding for a few more kilometers before I saw a light, it was a car approaching us. Yeah, I never felt so much joyous, but the car came straight towards us and stopped in front of us blocking our way.

There were 5 males inside the car and were continuously looking at us, I was nervous, what if they do something to us? There’s no one to save us. The person on the driver seat opened his window and called in his regional language with his heavy voice “Oye, urrey na aa” which seemed more like an order. I was bit terrified but with no option left went to him.

He said “Bhai aage jo bhi pehla restaurant mile waha ruk jaiyye, aagge mat na jaiyye”.

“Fewhhhhh” they were really good people and were like angels to us. With knowing that we have something near ahead where we can spend our nights safely, I felt bit stronger and full of hopes. I thanked them and now the black ice was not bothering me anymore, I had more control on my bike. I only had one thing in mind “we have to reach that place as soon as possible”.

Few kilometers ahead I found my Krishna and his pillion. They slipped twice on black ice and broke the carrier. Before I reached their he had fixed it, we continued from and found a colony of tents named “Bharatpur tent colony”.

Upon reaching there we only asked the availability of the beds and left our bikes and luggage ran inside the tent. Suddenly, my wife “Deepika Shakya” fell unconscious on the bed, she was shivering. It was like she is on the first stage of hypothermia. We (me and fellow female rider) rubbed her feet and hands for almost 20-30 minutes and the guy there brought a stove near her to warm her. After some she got conscious and I helped her change her clothes and have food.

At night we could feel cold breeze coming in from the temporary stone walls of the tent.

Day 4 ( 13th June 2017) Bharatpur Tent Colony to Pang

Only we know how we managed to spend our night here. When we woke up, we could feel a thin layer of ice on our quilts. I had a fever and feeling like puking any moment but my wife who almost took the shit out of me looking at her health conditions, was making videos outside and was enjoying the surroundings.

Before I woke up, she had put all our wet clothes outside on the wall to dry in the sunlight. I could not believe this is the same girl who fell unconscious last night. Some bikers came and stopped in the tent were spend our night. One of them was injured, upon asking they told us they are coming from Baralacha and four of them slipped on the Black Ice injuring one.

We shared our experience too and since they have been to Leh Ladakh before we asked some tips, looking at my condition also gave us 4 dynamox tablets (we only had PCM, Dettol, and other basic first aid items).

By 11 AM we were all set again to continue our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip.

Bikers coming from Leh also met us and told us about the water crossing and a broken bridge that we can use to cross the water body. But Krishna got excited seeing a rider crossing the water with ease on his Himalayan and went straight following him. I tried stopping him but kept on going got stuck in the middle of the water crossing. Roads to Pand were not good but still were better than what we had seen at Rohtang. By around 2:30 PM we had entered the Paradise In India “Kashmir” and reached Lachungla Pass (16616 Ft) by 3:50 Pm. Around 6 Pm we reached Pang and booked a room with 4 beds in it.

Day 5 (14th June 2017) Pang To Leh

We got up early and freshened up. Before leaving Pang, we asked the aunty (owner of the hotel) for the Diamox tablets but she refused saying “Hattey Khattey ho tum log, tumhey kya zaroorat hai” but later she gave us 4 tablets for Rs.20. She said she keep them of emergency.

Roads after pang were smooth and straight. But unfortunately, my splendor was not able to go beyond 40KMPH even after the full throttle. It was because of the low oxygen. I thought of removing the cover of the air filter to allow the engine to intake more air for the fuel to burn. At this point in time, I realized we both don’t have the tool kit on our bikes. I mean WOW!

Left with no option but continue our ride, we reached Tanglangla Pass at 1:30 PM. I faced difficulties in riding up to the pass and at some points, Krishna helped me by pushing the bike. At the top weather suddenly started getting worsened and we decided to spend some time there. We witnessed the first snowfall of the ride, it was amazing. It was also the first time ever I have been in the snowfall.

While the snow was falling we had tea and Maggie. We got appreciation from some bikers stopping there too because of the snowfall, they also clicked the pictures with us! Felt like celebrity 😛

We too clicked pics before leaving. On the way down we had to stop again for half an hour as BRO people were cleaning the snow from the roads.

By 4:50PM we reached Leh after all the formalities at the checkpoint and getting my bike tank refueled to full. We booked the rooms at hotel “Shyanam”. Kept our luggage, freshened up and went out to see the local market.

Day 6 (15th June 2017) Leh To Pangong

We had enquired about the formalities and routes for our journey from the hotel staff. Hence, we got up early and went to SDM office for the permits required for Nubra Valley and Pangong Lake. After getting the permits we went to the mechanic and got the carburetor tuned and some basic checks for my bike. Till the time we reached our hotel our ladies got the bags ready and for our journey.

We kept the extra luggage (my saddle bag and krishna’s trolley bag) at the hotel clock room.

Road to Changla was under construction near shakti, hence we had to take alternate way which was not in good shape and we were fearing that our bikes tyres may get puncture.

My bike was like cruising on the steep roads after I got its carburetor tuned. While riding up a group of 4-5 RE riders stopped me and appreciated me for my ride (Again that celebrity feeling :P) and then ended up saying

“bhaiya thoda pretend kro na ki thoda problem ho rha hai bike chadhane me” on asking the reason, they replied “mera bullet bura maan jaega, ye saala pehla gear me bhi nahi chadh rha hai aur app pillion k saath itne asaani se splendor chada rha hai”

We laughed, bid them goodbye and continued towards Changla pass. Weather was sunny and clear till Zinglar. But then, it suddenly got changed with heavy snowfall and fog making it difficult to ride. Roads were in bad shape and were wet.

Weather Conditions while riding up to the Changla Pass

After riding for approx. 3kms, we realized that our bag which we tied up at the back with the help of bungy cords was not there. We dropped it on the way up. I informed Krishna about it and we went back to look for it. On the way down we asked every biker or driver about our bag but all in vain.

Our bag had the cash in it, my wife’s mobile phone, my watch, our mobile chargers, power banks, credits cards, our clothes and some important documents. One Army personal asked me report the matter to Karu Police Station and we did the same.

They made us believe that we will not get our bags back. They asked us to search the bag on the way upon telling them that we have already done that they said, they will check with the drivers passing by. But they refused to file the FIR. For documents they said they give a missing report but will not file the FIR. They also said since the bag had the cash in it, it is difficult to get it back.

Had to return to our hotels empty handed. Broken with all the incidents I decided to head back to the home and told the same to my wife. She knows me more than I do my self and hence said ok. Krishna offered to bear all the charges for that night.

Later when I was bit normal Deepika said “Humari wajah se un dono ko bhi wapas jana padega (my friend and his pillion rider) aur aap itni dur aakey ride complete kare bagair jaoge to achha nahi lagega”

To which I agreed. Luckily, I had my wallet with license and debit cards in my jacket. Deepika called his brother and arranged some funds in my account.

Day 7 (16th June 2017) Leh to Pangong (Second attempt)

We had planned to wake up early at 6 am and leave for Changla so that we may get time to look for the bag again. But we woke up at 8 AM. I had set up the alarm at 6 AM, why it didn’t ring. Then I realized I lost my mobile phone too. We searched it at all the places we went at night and finally got to know that I left it in the Punjabi Dhaba we had the dinner at, last night.

Owner asked few questions to confirm that it was my mobile and handed it to me. Bit relieved now.

Came back to hotel packed our bags and went to shopping for the accessories we lost with our bag. 10:30AM, we left leh city and headed straight towards the karu police station. On the way at the border of leh city some union guys were checking the documents and stopped us. The guy who checked RC of the bike questioned about the ownership of the bike and refused to allow me to go further.

I had some arguments with him, and the situation started getting heated up till the time some other guy came in and checked the documents again. He asked why the address on my bikes RC is different from the address on my license. I told him it is my cousin’s bike. Later I got to know from one of the riders that they are from Leh bike rentals union and they don’t allow rented bikes from outside.

I was lucky enough that they let me go!

While riding up to the Changla, our eyes were still searching for the bag, but we could not find it. This time we were fortunate that the weather was clear all the way up to the Changla Pass.

On our way we found one rider with Yezdi 1975 model. It was not starting, and he was looking completely exhausted. His name was Mahesh. On asking him if I can help him, he said his bike needs a plain surface to get started. We both started pushing the bike but after few meters we both started struggling to breath. He fell down on the road trying to calm himself. I stopped a biker approaching and took water from him, gave Diamox tablet to Mahesh.

Once he became normal, I asked if anyone else was riding with him? he said, he has group “Dream Riders” and they might have reached the Changla Pass. He requested me to inform them about his situation to which I agreed and proceeded to towards the Changla.

I tried searching for Mahesh’s group but couldn’t find any of them. Felt bad for him but I did what I could. We had tea, maggie and momos at the army canteen, clicked some pics, enjoyed in Snow.

We are about to leave when we saw Mahesh coming on his Yezdi. I ran to him asking if he was ok as he was looking very tired and exhausted. He gave his fellow rider’s number so that we can inform them. Unfortunately, we didn’t have a network. We left him there as we could not do anything, wished him good luck, and continued our journey.

As suggested by a rider we met on our way we booked a room in Durbuk (approx. 50-60kms from Pangong). He told us nights at Pangong are very cold and stay is too costly. Having the experience of Baralacha we preferred to take his advice.  

We kept our bags at the homestay and headed towards the Pangong lake. It was more beautiful than what we have seen on TVs. We spent some clicked lots of pictures and headed back to our homestay.

My wife and the other female pillion rider cooked food with aunty ji (homestay owner). We had dinner, played ludo together and went to sleep.

Day 8 (17th June 2017) Pangong Lake to Nubra Valley)

By 10 AM we were ready after getting freshened up and having our breakfast. We left Durbuk and headed towards Nubra Valley.
On our way to Nubra valley, we found one govt. Medical Center, we got a pack of 24 tablets for free.

Since the fuel was low, we were searching for the fuel. Locals there were selling the petrol for Rs.100 for a liter. We opted to take risk and search for the petrol pump.

Roads again were not in good condition. Krishna’s bike again slipped in the sand and he lost control. He broke his bike’s carrier again. We somehow managed to fix it by rope we had.

At around 1:30 PM we found one small shop and stopped there to have Maggie and Tea. To our surprise, we got Maggie for only Rs.30 and it was the best Maggie we had during our journey.

After, that dhaba roads were awesome till Diskit. We found one petrol pump. It had only one machine (manually operated) with analog meter. Attendant had to rotate the lever (just like we do to start old generators) to pump up the fuel. I had seen this kind of petrol pump first time in my life.

We searched and booked hotel in Diskit, kept out bags there and went to Hunder to enjoy in the world’s highest cold desert. Before, it was dark we returned to our hotel. We played badminton and did some cycling before going to bed.

Day 9 (18th June 2017) Nubra Valley to Khardungla Pass

I could not sleep properly at night because of the small temple in front of our room. It had the skulls of the animals sacrificed there and also of loud sound of the water flowing between our room and that temple.

We woke up early and got ready for our next and the main destination our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip, the “Khardungla Pass”. Krishna still had fears of what happened at Baralacha Pass. He explored an option to avoid Khardungla after enquiring from locals. He insisted me on avoiding the Pass and take alternate route to which I disagreed. Not only him but others (bikers staying in the same hotel) also suggested me not to khardungla on hero splendor. They even said my splendor won’t survive there.

But before even starting our Leh Ladakh trip, I had set khardungla top as my main target. Somehow, I convinced him, and we proceeded towards khardungla pass.

On the way, I noticed one Innova was following us and was honking again and again. I thought they might need a way to pass and we did the same, but they kept on following us. After 2-3 kms we stopped to enquire about the route to Khardungla from some bikers. These Innova guys came and stopped near me. 4 of them came out and asked “bhai kaunsa engine laga rakkha hai?”

I replied:- “Spldendor hai, jo engine hota hai wahi hai”

One of them : “Bhai lag to nahi rha jis tarah se bhaga rha hai tu”

I jokingly said “Hayabusa ka engine lagwaya hai” and continued to towards khardungla.

We had many similar incidents during our Leh Ladakh bike trip.

Road while riding up to the khardungla top was in the worst shape. It making it difficult to ride but it was easily manageable for since hero splendor is lightweight and with low seat height. I felt it was easier than reaching up to Changla.

Upon reaching Khardungla I and Deepika climbed up on the snow-covered hill. We did lots of Masti, clicked pictures, and recorded the videos too. I felt like Krishna was still angry on me forcing him to ride up to the khardungla. I believe he was more concerned about our female pillion riders’ safety (especially his pillion’s safety :P).

At 3 PM we decided to continue our ride towards Leh and by 5 PM we reached there. While searching for the hotel we came across a man who suggested us cheap and good hotel.

There’s one more reason that this guy has a special place in this story. We were little concerned about the situations in Srinagar hence, I asked him if is aware it. He replied by saying “aap araam se jao koi problem nahi hogi. Hum logo ko tourists se koi problem nahi, Hume sirf govt. se problem hai”. I was like what??? His statement was quite shocking to me.

Anyways we checked in to that hotel and after getting freshened up went out to have dinner. Explored the market again and reached hotel to get a good sleep.

Day 10 (19th June 2017) Leh To Lamayuru

Me and Deepika got up early as we had planned to visit Karu police station once again just to try our luck. We left the hotel and headed towards Karu but we both knew it is just a waist of time, so we decided to visit leh Palace. We spent some time there and headed back to our hotel. After collecting our luggage, we checked out of the hotel and proceeded to our next destination Gurudwara Patthar Shaheb. By 3PM we left Gurudwara and as decided continued our ride to kargil.

We felt like we are too late to reach kargil before sunset hence mutually decided to ride as far as possible before sunset. By around 5:30 PM we were at Lamayuru and stopped there to take a short break. Meanwhile our female partners went to the washroom me and Krishna stopped 2-3 vehicles coming from Kargil to enquire about the staying options available ahead. All of them suggested spending night in Lamayuru only. Hence, we booked a room in Lamayuru Hotel and Restaurant.

After getting freshen up we decided to visit the Lamayuru Monastery, upon reaching there we got to know that it was built in 11th century and also that Lamayuru was once a lake and that is the reason mountains has sand on the top which (which we generally find in big lakes or at beaches). People there told us that we can still find fossils of fish in the mud on mountains.

We decided to have food outside in a restaurant that looked really nice with wooden finish and it attracted us too. Presentation and hospitality were good and comparable to a good restaurant in Delhi but when we tasted the food, we literally regretted our decision of eating there. Anyways we returned our hotel and went to bed.

Day 11 (20th June 2017) Lamayuru to Sonmarg

During our stay, we came to know that the owner of the hotel is an Ex-Army official. We asked for his suggestion on staying at Srinagar as our next destination to which he suggested to stay Son Marg instead. By 10 AM we started ride towards Son Marg. We were mesmerized by the beauty of Kashmir, it is really a paradise on earth. Wish we could stay there. After few hours we reached Drass it was the last place we saw our National Flag.

It started raining when were about to reach Zojila Pass, but we managed to reach army canteen on time. We continued our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip once the rain stopped and few kilometers ahead, we found a board saying you are at Zojila Pass. Me and Krishna looked at each other reacted like “Lolzz this is Zojila which is considered to have some of the world’s most dangerous roads”. Little we knew that what is waiting for us ahead.

After few minutes of riding we could see the real face of Zojila Pass and why it is said to among the world’s most dangerous roads. Roads were wet and slippery, trucks were approaching us with a thick black smoke and on our left was steep edge of the road is you lose your balance you get the shortcut to be a part of scenic location at the bottom.

I literally was shivering now when I was forced to stop at the edge to let 6-7 trucks pass. this was the second time during Leh Ladakh bike trip when I was praying to God to save us. It was horrifying especially for a person like me who has “Acrophobia”. It is only me who knows how I managed to ride down with Deepika as a pillion.

All thanks to our Indian Army who were present there at every turn and managing the traffic and helping the tourists. We saluted almost all the Army Personals on our way and the smile on their as response was so satisfactory. After reaching Son Marg we realized why it is called Son Marg. Beauty of the nature just won our hearts but the fear of situations at Srinagar and adjacent areas kept us inside the hotel rooms.

Day 12 (21st June 2017) Son Marg to Ramban

As suggested by the owner of the Lamayuru hotel we planned to cross the Srinagar as soon as possible. But the morning welcomed us with us thick black clouds with heavy rains. At last we stepped out of our hotel to buy rain coats for all of us at 11:30 AM. While we were about to leave, we saw a group of bikers uncovering the national flags and slogans for Indian Army. We were curious to know why they covered it at first place?

Upon asking they told us they had to do it for their safety as they were chased by a mob with Hockey sticks and iron rods while they were crossing Srinagar. In fact, the hotel staff suggested us not to carry or show anything related to Indian Army and Indian flag t o avoid any troubles.

One of the staff members went saying that we might have faced troubles if it would have been Friday. When asked why? he casually said, “Friday ko namaz padhtey hain na to namaz padhney k baad hum log road pe nikal jaatey hain” I really dint understood what he meant by “road pe nikal jaatey hain” but sounded like he was kind of trying to frighten us.

We were in complete fear and decided to stop anywhere in between Srinagar. We witnessed army troops at every half or a kilometer’s distance also, we also saw convoys of army vehicles surveying on the roads. Seeing them was a bit of relief for me.

Few kilometers away we saw people standing groups and many police personals managing the crowed. As decided, we preferred to keep on going but few meters ahead, we stopped to refuel our bikes. When we asked about the situation petrol pump attendant told us that some people were pelting stones on the vehicles passing by.

We rushed from that place and decided not to stop before crossing the 9km long “Chenani Nashri Tunnel”. However continuous rains and heavy traffic made it difficult for us to reach to that tunnel and we ended up staying at a hotel in Ramban.

Day 13 (22nd June 2017) Ramban To Jalandhar

The whole night we could hear the loud roars of the water flowing but as it was dark, we didn’t realize that Ramban is located at the banks of Chenab River. We woke up to beautiful and clear weather and could see the Chenab flowing opposite our hotel. We quickly went to the terrace and put our clothes on the walls to dry them in sunlight.

While the cloths were drying up, went to the restaurant to have breakfast. Few hours later we packed our bags and headed towards Chenani Nashri Tunnel. Before entering the tunnel, Krishna informed me about the problems with his bike’s front tyre. Upon checking we realized that Disc Pads were worn out and hence were not working properly. We asked people about the mechanic, but all said there’s no mechanic available before Udhampur.

We reached Udhampur and got the disc pad replaced. By 8 PM we were in Jalandhar.

Day 14 (23rd June 2017) Jalandhar to Delhi

This was the last day of our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip. By 9 AM we checked out from our hotel in Jalandhar and headed towards Delhi.
We were riding as fast as we could (considering the permissible speed limits). When we were about the enter the Delhi, my phone started ringing and it was some unknown number hence I ignored it. But my phone rang again, and it was the same number I ignored the call again.

While we stopped to have some rest and have lunch, I again received the call from that same number. I thought It would be someone from my office hence preferred not to pick up the call as I was already very tired.

I again received multiple calls from the same number when we reached Vikaspuri. My wife asked me to pick up the call to which I replied “Ghar pahoch k araam se baat karunga”.

After reaching home my wife asked me to call on that number and I said “baad me karunga abhi thaka hua hu thoda fresh ho jau haanth muh dhoke then will call him.”

At around 10PM I finally called on that number and the guy on the other side said “Aap pawanji bol rhe hai?’

Me: Ji Haan, par aap kaun ?

He: Aapko kab se call kr rha hu, aapka bag gir gya tha changla me wo mere pass hai. Aake le jao main Safdarjung enclave me hu aur kal subeh udaypur k liye nikal jaunga.

Me: Oh, thank you so much, Mujhe do ghantey lagenge main abhi pahoch rha hu.

He: fir aap morning hi me aajana.

That moment was unbelievable, we were about to get our bag back in Delhi, which we lost during our leh ladakh bike trip approx. 1100-1200 kilometers away from our place.

Next morning, I met him at his place, and he returned my bag with each and everything being intact as it was.

It was still hard to believe we got our bag back.

After all the struggles and some of the worst experience our Leh Ladakh Bike trip had an happy ending!

Watch our Leh Ladakh Bike Trip video on YOUTUBE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *